Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Top 5 Craft Organizing Tips

Thanks to wonderful family members who like to give cash at Christmas, I've been stocking up on organization supplies for The Nook. I'm not finished yet but my brain is in super organizing mode, so why not share?



1. Make a Plan

Know what you have to store, and plan for it however you need to. I am a very freeform person so I can kind of keep a running tally of my craft stash and find containers for all of it by memory. My husband is a visual planner and would need measurements and chart to make himself happy. When in doubt, make a list so you don't forget anything.

Check!


2. Value Function over Form

If you're crafty, it shouldn't matter what things look like, because you can always dress them up. When choosing between a pretty item that sort of works, and an ugly item that works very well, don't be afraid of the ugly. Most ugly things can be fixed with paint or Mod Podge! If you do get lucky enough to find something functional that is already pretty, don't be afraid to do a happy dance in the store. I did!


Katie from Food, Wine & Mod Podge made a boring white organizer tray into this little beauty! Why pay big bucks for designer items?



3. Think Outside the Box

Search everywhere. Purpose-built craft storage is expensive, and in some areas (like mine) hard to find. Start there if you wish, but don't be afraid to branch out. Kitchen and bathroom storage pieces can make great craft organizers. Spice racks hold paint bottles like a dream, and toothbrush holders are great for holding pens or markers. Recycling can come up with unique containers too.

Forget flatware. Envision pens, scissors, paper punches... whatever you need, all at your fingertips!



4. Research

Look around for inspiration. Why re-invent the wheel when someone else has already made exactly what you want? I was inspired by homemade ribbon organizers and great inspiration boards from across the blogiverse.


My own soon-to-be-made ribbon holder was inspired by this one, created by Jamielyn over at I Heart Naptime.

5. Don't Compromise

If you have a specific storage solution in mind, don't give up. I have wasted a lot of time and some money trying haphazard or makeshift systems. It's one thing to work within the confines of space or budget, but if you have planned accordingly you can find what you want and need.


The most appropriate picture to put here would be one of my old "craft" space... but that, I'd rather not share!



I'm having a surprising amount of fun organizing! Do you have any more tips to share with me? If I like them you could be quoted in a future entry, I'm always pleased to have friends help! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great advice! Thanks for sharing. It's just in time for tackling my New Year's resolution to keep our house clean and organized :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to My Nerdy Nook! Thanks for the visit and I appreciate the comments!