Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Patchwork and Handwriting Desk

Snow days are great for crafting!

040

This is the view from my front door right now. I thought about opening the door for a better view, but it’s COLD out there!

We’ll be stuck inside for a few days so I’m choosing to relax about housework and focus on a couple of bigger crafting projects instead. Chief among them is this little beauty!

001

This computer desk belonged to my husband all through high school. Structurally, it’s in fine shape, and the metal frame is very sturdy. The laminate finish was another story. Teenage boys are hard on their desks and it had nicks, scrapes, bubbles and even a carving or two. Frankly, if I’d had the option I think I would have sold this thing and gone looking for something else. Instead I had to go at it with paper and Mod Podge in hand. I’m really happy with the result! This is the type of bold, crazy-quilt finish I had in mind with the ribbon organizer. After my problems with that piece, it feels really good for this one to turn out so well.

From the beginning I wanted to make sure this was an original piece that really spoke for who I was. What is more individual than my own handwriting? I broke out the sharpies and doodled away!

004

Some simple words for inspiration and focus.

016

Gotta have a little Yoda wisdom.

035

Serendipity: good luck in making unexpected and fortunate discoveries.

018

A little hard to read, but it says: When in doubt, GO BIGGER, go brighter, go CRAZY! It’s kind of my personal crafting motto, so it’s right in front of my seat at the desk.

032

And last but certainly not least, I always keep Faith, Hope and Love close to my heart. (This is on the edge of the desk in front of my seat, so I mean that literally! I’m corny like that.)

Technically this is a “sneak peak” because it needs a few coats of Mod Podge Hard Coat. Otherwise this is what it will look like for at least a month. I want to make sure the Hard Coat really does hold up to some abuse before I go to the trouble of coating the shelves too. But considering that I’m already using the unfinished piece a little bit, I think it will be fine!

blogstamp

Making NightOwlCrafting

5 comments:

  1. Awe! I love it! Great choice of words for inspiration! I want a little crafty table that looks as cool as this! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and inspirational!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    I love that you have a dedicated place to work! My desk is the living room floor:)
    Nice job
    Christine
    greatoakcircle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous! As a patchworker and quilter I love the idea of having a desk that looks like patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i featured this idea on my blog today..

    kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to My Nerdy Nook! Thanks for the visit and I appreciate the comments!